Possible prevention of hacking attacks
Web application security testing is performed to identify the vulnerabilities in a web application. With the increasing adaptation of web technologies across several areas, web applications have become a very viable attack surface if left with an untailored security outlook. Hence, assessments like web application security help the developers remediate vulnerabilities that are found during the process thereby and enhance the overall security of the web application.
Web application security testing as per the OWASP Top 10 list, helps to identify many unattended issues related to programming, file access and configuration etc which may turn out to be vulnerabilities, causing a potential impact on the organization.
Regular assessments as such help safeguard the application from any unauthorized access which can cause an impact on the organization both in reputation and resources.
Web application security testing is a continuous improvement process securing the data and the reputation of the firm. The benefits of application security testing run far and help businesses meet their compliance requirements faster. Standing from a cybersecurity point of view we provide a concise and comprehensive report that details all the necessary aspects of your application that needs to be improved. Our web application security testing program provides the following benefits :
Possible prevention of hacking attacks
Identification of application security issues before the bad guys
Ease to adhere to any compliance regulations and standards
Better assurance towards application security
OWASP Top 10, SANS 25, NIST, PCI and all applicable industry security frameworks are the usual standards that are followed for VAPT of web applications.
Best Scanning Practice includes performing all scans and re-scans within 30 days. Also, organizations should deploy all vulnerability patches having Critical and High severity in 15 days. If organizations are unable to fix any vulnerability within 30 days, then the particular vulnerability is to be reported, so that the alternative controls to mitigate the risk could be applied and the organizations can conduct assessment for the particular finding in the next scan.
The report defines an objective and a detailed risk description for every reported vulnerability.
● Identified vulnerabilities with Proof-of-Concept (POC) collected while performing the security assessment.
● All the reported vulnerabilities in the report are categorized into severity levels such as ‘Critical,’ ‘High,’ ‘Medium’ , ‘Low’ and ‘Info’ as per their Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) score, depending on the risk and the potential business impact it may cause due to vulnerability exploitation.
● Recommendations for the effective mitigation and closure of the identified vulnerabilities are assigned and mentioned in the report.
It takes 4-5 days to complete the web application test (might vary depending upon the complexity of the application) and 1-2 days for the reporting.
For web application testing various commercial and open-source tools are used.
In Vulnerability Analysis of a web application, the ‘entry-points’ of the application that could be vulnerable and display the weakness of the application are identified.
The two types of Web Application Security Assessment Methodologies are:
a. Automated Testing: Automated Testing is conducted using Automated and Commercial Web Application vulnerability scanners to identify and detect security vulnerabilities in the application.
b. Manual Testing: The Security Operations team conducts the Manual Testing for the following reasons.
● To identify potential vulnerabilities detected in Automated Testing to gain confirmation of the identified vulnerability.
● To identify vulnerabilities which may be unable to identify in Automated Testing.
● To exploit vulnerabilities which may not be exploited using automated web application scanners.